Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Gym Rats

So I decided to come back to SL for the bulk of the summer before moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth metrosexualplex late next month. Since there's nothing to do here and I needed to get back into shape, it naturally followed that I joined a gym. So I did - a "grown up" gym, as opposed to a gym you'd find on major college campuses (read: UT - Austin, home of the most beautiful coeds outside of the SEC - vanderbilt not included). To be frank, I'm a bit disappointed with the workout environment (admittedly for all the wrong reasons). For one, the chicks are unbelievably unattractive. I know, I know, I've been spoiled by reasonably good-looking 18 to 22-year olds working out on campus. But give me a freaking break. You'd think there would be at least a few good looking cougars (this is SL for Christ's sake!!!). But there's nothing. I even try going around 6 or 7 (after works). Again, I'm coming up empty, and it's terribly disappointing.

My second observation should seem obvious, but again, coming from a college campus, it was a little startling: the people in my "grown up" gym are legitimately out of shape. They jiggle their "wobbly bits" all over the place. And they're super insecure about it. I don't understand this. I also don't understand people trying to multitask while they're on the treadmill, for example. While I realize that watching TV or reading a magazine/book during exercise may help pass the time, I will never understand the lady who elects to talk on her freaking cell-phone while grinding through a session on the elliptical. The first time I saw this, I thought it was an anomaly, but apparently some conversations can't wait.

Finally, I'm convinced some people don't know how to dress for the gym. I've seen more people wearing full-length khakis, a polo shirt, and doc martens during a workout than I care to count. I almost want to remind them they're in a fitness facility, will probably sweat (you're not getting that good of a workout if you're on a cell phone), and need different attire. People are dumb.

In any event, I enjoy my gym. It's never crowded so I never have to wait for a station, and the people are nice. To top it off, if I'm ever having a bad day, they're always something comical I can find about the people without having to look too far.

In other news, a friend started a blog which is going to be very good. I'd like each of you to check it out: http://mikepemulis.blogspot.com/

That's it.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

So I am loving your blog. THANKS FOR GIVING ME ANOTHER TIME WASTER AT WORK!